[IMC-US] Re: [IMC-US-Tech] last minute changes

john duda john at manifestor.org
Fri Oct 29 16:11:16 CDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 02:50:41PM -0400, daniel scott wrote:

> 2. Topic module tweak
> The only useful link in there at the moment is election 2004. Iraq is
> empty and the other two are weak. For the launch i would suggest these
> be filled out  or removed.

article categorization can and should be done by anyone with a login
to the mir admin.  new categories can also be added through the admin,
i'd personally rather see more categories rather than less.

> 4. resizing all back pages to the fixed width
> for example: the text in the about us section extends far beyond the
> banner.

fixed.

> 5. Align the columns at the bottom of the site.
> it looks better then before but design-wise the site should have a
> definite end. right now all three columns are a different length.
> Because of the variation in features and feed articles there will
> always be different length columns, but they can be presented in a
> fixed space. The column should be made to be as similar in length as
> possible either by extending the left side or limiting the middle and
> right. then there should be a line at the bottom with some info or
> links. this way the site looks finished. (look at the bottom of
> news.google.com or news.bbc.uk.co)

ok, if anyone is really concerned about this please go ahead and come
up with some html and css that does this.  i don't have the time to
switch to/adapt/test an entirely new layout.  i also think we will run
into lots of overflow issues quickly if we try and make the column the
same height, because so much of the startpage is automatically
generated.

john