[Imc-web-editor] IMC Web Group Meeting notes, Wed. 10/8/2008

Stephen Fonzo fonzo.stephen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 14:20:23 CDT 2008

Present:
Mike Lehman, Josh King, Chris Ritzo, Stuart Levy, Brian Dolinar, Stephen
Fonzo

1.) Mike will bring up the issue of Tech Group space to the Finance Group.

2.) IP address for fire alarm - what ports does it require and what will it
do? (Will it look for or assign itself an IP?) - Mike will send the fire
alarm information to Josh for review.

3.) UC-IMC to US-IMC syndication issue (Brian): images from UC-IMC news page
are formatting at sizes too large for US-IMC site.  The group discussed that
it might be best to wait until our Drupal installation has been fully
updated to see if this will solve the problem.  Until then, Stuart and Josh
recommended that we temporarily resize images in admin settings.

4.) The Drupal 4.7.10 to 6.4 upgrade is now complete, thanks to Josh.  The
test site is viewable at new.ucimc.org.  It uses a new theme, and not all
the menus are set up to display the most recent stories yet.

a.) Question to bring to IMC working groups: should the other IMC Drupal
sites (Shows, WRFU, etc.) be integrated on one installation?
b.) Theme and front page redesign: more accurately represent all groups and
activities at the IMC, not just news stories.  Denver OpenMedia PEG grants
are available that could possibly involve UC-IMC, since UPTV is a grantee
that we might partner with.  These grants start in November and are given to
projects that want to integrate new media platforms such as Drupal and
media-specific modules as a Beta test.
c.) The group decided to wait to make major web site design revisions for
two reasons: 1) to get working groups' and Steering approval; and 2) to
proceed with bug fixes, restoring anonymous comments, etc.
*d.) Web Group proposal for Steering:* Single installation of Drupal for all
of the UC-IMC, with multiple databases for the working groups - this makes
administration, editing, linking, and version updating easier and faster,
and makes new tools available to all of the IMC groups at once.  This also
makes the creation of new sites easier.
e.) Josh is also working on CiviCRM and LDAP authentication to be useable
across sites.
f.) Have IndyMedia Network point to the UC-IMC news page rather than the
front page local portal.  This ensures that no one in the global network
will have to search through local content about the working groups, events,
and the building, while we can still maintain a better design that gives
locals (who use the site more) more useful info about the IMC and the
diversity of projects, people, and events that it houses.

5.) Stuart requested 2 mailing lists from Chambana.net.

Stephen Fonzo
VISTA Media Training Advisor
UC-IMC