[Imc-web] another feature in question

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 7 01:06:20 CST 2003

I have to agree that it's problematic. Not to rule out ever posting
something like this on an emergency basis..., but I have a bit of a
different concern than Paul's.

We have the fig leaf of saying a user posted something if it's only on
the Newswire and gets questioned by somebody's lawyer. Once we as the
"official" editors move it to feature, we in some fundamental sense go
beyond what could be considered "fair use" possibly...or maybe not...,
but I'd hate to find out how much the lawyer's gonna cost that will help
us figure it out.

Besides, the AP has a very active affiliate right here in town. Why
tweak the dragon's tale when we can find more important press battles to
fight?

Besides, one could easily right a quick article from the AP piece, the
News-Gazette article tonight, and what will probably be a DI article
tomorrow (I wasn't on campus today, but I don't think the story broke
until this morning?), plus, I would hope, at least some further insight
than what was offered by the three of the above.

The concerns about "security" and anonymity mentioned by the
News-Gazette raise some fundamental issues in academia that I thought
the N-G just skimmed right over without question, so there's a story
right there. But someone else will have to take the lead.

Besides, this goes right to the Global Wire when it happens and sure
helps reinforce certain people's opinions of us, that are inaccurate,
but all too easily stoked by stuff like this.
Mike Lehman