[Imc-web] anatomy of a feature

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 12 20:02:22 CST 2003

At our first web meeting I asked if those who move stories to the
features post an explanation of why.  Well, I, for one, never did this,
so I'd like to turn a new leaf.

In fact, I posted a story yesterday with the intention of making it a
feature. It was a short bulletin about Gov. Ryan's blanket commutation
of death sentences.

I wrote this because by chance I got the news pretty immediately after
it happened, and I knew that it wasn't going to be reported on any local
media outlet, except during any breakaway to nat'l news (like NPR
headlines).  So I looked around the net and found a couple of reliable
sources and threw together a story, cribbed mostly from Ryan's speech,
since that seemed to really carry the significant context of the
annoucenement, anyway (and it's public domain!).

See the feature here:
http://www.ucimc.org/feature/display/8824/index.php

I wish I'd been following the story more in the past, because then I'd
been able to write something better about the context. Especially I
wanted to write something more about Blagojevic's position, but I didn't
find anything quickly enough. (Now I know that he's said something
basically critical of any "blanket" commutation).

I think it was important for our site to have _something_ about this
story, because it is major news both locally and world-wide, and so
there's a high likelihood that people, both local and otherwise, will
look here to find something.

Our site syndicates features to the global IMC newswire.  So for a time
we were the global source for people to know that this even happened.

If we miss big stories like this, we look pretty penny-ante.  Note that
the News-Gazette only updates once a day -- they didn't have anything on
their site until Sunday.

Even though I broke no big news, such a feature is likely to bring in
comments, which can be as or more illuminating than the original post.
Just look at the C-U Cityview stories.

I've done similar things on Sept. 11 and during elections.  Our
uniqueness is that we don't claim to be definitive, but we are truly
inclusive.

Your thoughts are welcome.

--Paul