[Imc-web] Re: Special Jul/Aug UCIMC Web meeting

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 21 09:14:32 CDT 2003

Dan,
I am very flexible on the date prior to the start of school. Due to the
quirks in the version of Dada we are using, I think a software update
would be good.

I have two additional items. One would be to finalize a proposal I
previously made on IMC network spam abusers, which would be a minor
modification to our existing abuse policy, defining who it would apply
to (those who make a habit of spamming the same story to many IMCs). I
have informally implemented it without any concerns being raised so far.

Basically, it amounts to linking stories together based on frequency of
appearance on the Newswire, i.e. if three stories appear by the the same
IMC network spammer in the first three pages of Newswire listings, they
get linked together. This has been a periodic problem that recurs from
time to time.

A new proposal would be to hide stories by those who consistently post
non-Local news to the Local Newswire. Other than DAN Disinfo (already
persona non grata here), the other person who has been a consistent
abuser of the Local Newswire has been Jon Chance. He hasn't been active
lately, but given his penchant for thinking he's a presidential
candidate, I would expect this problem to recur with the uncoming 2004
election. My thoughts are that it would be three "chances" (with
warnings attached to stories moved to the Elsewhere Newswire), then
you're out.
Mike Lehman