[Imc-web] Why are you violating first amendment?

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 24 09:09:33 CDT 2004

Anna,
Some comments below.
Mike

Anna Epelbaum wrote:

> Though I has been promised this relocation by ML, my article
> 'POPULARIZATION AND REQUEST FOR PROPER COOPERATION' has not been moved
> to global news column.
I did NOT promise you a relocation, except to move your story back to
the Elsewhere Newswire. If you want it posted on the Global IMC
Newswire, you'll have to do that yourself. If you expected that it would
be moved to the center, Features column, please note that I already
expressed my opinion that it did not qualify for that, since it really
is not a news article nor is it timely or of wide interest.

I was trying to do it myself utilizing the link,
> which ML provided in his comment to my article 'The Inquiry' only to
> find out that I am not able to do so ( I am sure, ML perfectly knows
> it), as I am not allowed to edit anything.
> So, what is about relations between First Amendment and your editorial
> staff?  Why am I not allowed to publish what I want though it
> doesn't include obscene, etc.. information and includes already rewarded
> and, certainly, pretty good poetry? What are the reasons for this
> approach?
Your articles were published and remain on the Newswire. The First
Amendment applies to government actions. We are not the government. We
try to honor the spirit of the 1st Amendment, but we also have other
things to consider when we make editorial decisions.

Why are you persistently hiding comments of some authors?
Some people have shown themselves to be persistent trolls. We are
dealing with them according to our policies, which they have repeatedly
violated. Not all comments by these authors are hidden, only those in
violation of our policies.

By
> the way, my husband-Wayne D. Pickette hasn't been by now able to VERIFY
> his e-mail address with your web site, though such verification has been
> more than simple to me.
Our software has a bug in it. We don't know what it is, but it randomly
allows some people to verify their emails and some not. Sorry, it's
nothing personal.

DON'T you think that Independent Media Center
> web site IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU TO PRESENT YOURSELVES AS GREAT CENSORS
> and GODS, who have rights decide without/* _any professional training
> and/or credentials_*/ whether some pieces in technology and/or in
> literature are valid or not? Guys have a grip!!
> You are running Independent Media Center web site, not your feudal domain !!
The whole point of Indymedia is to reject the idea that professionals
somehow have special expertise in journalism. You're welcome to submit
your material to something more professional like, say, the News-Gazette
or WCIA Ch. 3, in order for you to see how much consideration they will
give your work.

The high-handed and abusive tone that you use with IMC volunteers is
wearing decidedly thin. This is the last thing I'll have to say to you
personally on this subject, since you are making no attempt to
understand my points, even if you may disagree with them.

And, for the nth time, I am not Zach Miller.