[Imc-web] website improvements:

benjamin grosser grosser at itg.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 3 13:36:31 CST 2004

I'd be happy to figure out the code to swap out banners randomly.

> > 1) The line to the right of the logo does not line up with the line to the
> > right of the search and below.
>
> yeah, i haven't been able to figure out why that happens yet -- anyone
> have ideas?

As for firebird, I've attached another screenshot.  The vertical lineup is
now right, but the logo width isn't working quite right yet...The menu
width is definitely narrower in firebird than IE.  I would probably
suspect a conflict between stylesheet and html like we had before.  Maybe
they both specify the width?

> > 2) A bigger problem: On the story pages, the text seems fixed at 1000
> > pixels wide or so such that if you have a small screen you are forced to
> > scroll horizontally.  Can't we make it such that the story fits within the
> > browser window width - at least for any browser over 7-- pix wide?
>
> whoa.  this doesn't happen in IE -- can someone confirm that this is
> happening on mozilla (and others).  anyone have ideas why this might be
> happening?

Yeah, I see this about once every few loads in firebird (at least I think
we're talking about the same problem).  The symptom for me is that the
newswire's left edge ends up starting to the right of the top banner's
right edge...it just will not move left so its underneath it no matter
how you resize the browser.  A reload usually fixes it.

This could be a firebird issue, but if Danielle's is seeing it in Safari
as well, then I'd suspect another CSS issue.  Next time I see it I'll
send you a screenshot.

And now I'm getting really picky.  There appears to be a stroke already
applied to the left edge of the table cell that the banner resides in (or
in the right edge of the logo cell).  I setup the banner so that it would
have a 1-pixel border that separated it from the logo (just as the left-
edge menu does).  Can you poke around and see if that got specified
somewhere?

ben

  benjamin grosser | director | imaging technology group | beckman institute
   grosser at uiuc.edu | 217.244.5669 | 217.244.6219 (fax) | www.itg.uiuc.edu