[Imc-web] Re: [Imc-tech] intellectual property rights and our site

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 18 15:33:25 CST 2004

One thing that could be done would be to put some sort of asterisk on
the copyright mark that explains the exemptions for fair use. Although
I'm certainly no lawyer, this seems to work for folks like Commondreams
and Buzzflash.

While I agree with Paul's perfect world argument, the reality is that
open publishing is always going to attract a certain percentage of
reposts of copyright material, unless we make some sort of blanket rule
against it. There are two issues which seem to indicate having a
copyright option is a reasonable compromise.

First, I never heard anymore after Sascha's email when he was in Ireland
that seemed to raise concerns about copyright issues on IMC. I suppose
that having the copyright option (especially when linked with a fair use
disclamier) might provide some sort of protection against such a
problem. Again, I'm no lawyer, but it seems to be a viable option, based
on its invication elsewhere. Maybe Sascha can tell us more about what
prompted the initial, rather avgue email, that might be relevant to
Paul's concerns?

Second, Indymedia supplies an option for readers that doesn't occur in
other media where copyright material appears without any chance for them
to supply their own feedback directly attached to the article, which
Indymedia does via the Comments option. Such stories can spark
interesting discussions and analysis here that don't get a chance to
happen in other venues. I think that is a legitimate use of Indymedia in
such circumstances.

One last point is that people look to Indymedia as a portal to other
news of interest that doesn't get covered in local media. Often times,
this may be something that appears in dominant media elsewhere, but
which will never appear in the News-Gazette, for instance. While those
of us who are media activists are very familiar with these alternative
and locally-unheard sources, first time readers and those who are just
learning about a different way of looking at the media via Indymedia are
greatly benefited by getting links to alternative sources of
information, mainstream or otherwise, to supplement what they find at
Indymedia when they are wanting to break out of the local media
straightjacket. This is a variety of outreach that is implicit in our
mission, but often underestimated in its importance.
Mike Lehman