[Imc-web] Hidden Post

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sat May 1 00:02:37 CDT 2004

Well, Jack and his buds/alter egos apparently have nothing better to do this afternoon and tonight, as in approximately two dozen rude comments that certainly add nothing to public discourse. More of the same trash talk, but this one went over the limit, IMHO:
http://www.ucimc.org/newswire/display/17228/index.php

While this could possinly be the first time this person ever posted, it is at least as likely that Jack's failure to get the attention he craves by being hidden (an all too infrequent occurance, unfortunately) have driven him to assert different nyms, something which I suspect based on a number of recent posts that have the same basic shtick as Jack and have tended to be assoicated with his admitted posts.

While I generally will let anyone say just about anything once, the specific use of Brooke's name and the implied threat of the language used cause me to believe that this specific comment is a violation that is in the nature of a threat or trolling.

Please advise if you wish to dissent from my opinion.

While it is probably too soon to come to a firm conclusion about the source of this much concentrated stupidity, I am tending to think that it is likely to be a much smaller group than the variety of nyms would have you believe at first glance, based on the cookie-cutter nature of the comments and the proliferation of nyms. This is perhaps a sign that this is an escalation of what has been a long-time troublesome phenomenoa.

It may require a looser interpretation of our existing standards temporarily to tamp it down. We'll see, but I would be interested in hearing the oponions of others. The IMC space is getting to be a rather constantly unfriendly space again for legitimate users of the site.