[Imc-web] Jack Ryan: Time for Him to Go? Re: [Imc] steering meeting Nov. 18

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 13 11:51:45 CST 2004

As most of us know, Jack Ryan has been a persistent abuser of our website use policies. He has never offered much beyond ridicule and generally has no interest in engaging in dialogue that rises above the level of insult. Most of his posts now amount to nothing more than that, except for the increasingly common theme that we are hypocritically censoring him. At this point, we waste more time dealing with him than we do with DAN Disinfo.

Those of us who have been dealing with this have resisted the many calls to simply put an end to his abuse in the hopes that he might eventually be willing to comport himself in accord with our policies. He has had two-and-a-half-years and innumerable warnings to shape up. And he has chosen to ignore these repeated opportunities, even though he occasionally shows that he well understands the expectations of our policies.

I would like to revisit this issue the Steering group level to see if others feel the same at this point. My personal preference would be to take the steps needed to permanently bar him from the site. If there are objections raised, I am willing to continue with the now apprently ineffective methods, but I think he has sufficiently demonstrated he has no intention of doing anything but continuing his abuse in the future. We have a number of ways that this ban could be implemented, but I see no need to further discuss these options here without consensus on banning him.

So I'm putting this question on the table: Is it time for Jack to go given his demonstrated refusal to abide by our website use policies?

Your opinions, please.
Mike Lehman