[Imc-web] Re: Jack Ryan: Time for Him to Go? Re: [Imc] steering meeting Nov. 18

Paul Riismandel mediageek at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 13:51:01 CST 2004

We have banned people before without using any IP-based techniques,
such as the infamous Bobby Meade. What it takes is human intervention
-- in the case of Meade, he was put on notice that he would be
permanently hidden, and then someone did it.

What's tiring about Jack Ryan is that every post he makes has to be
evaluated -- meaning it's a constant game of running up to the line of
acceptability and then seeing how far he can push it. It's a game that
he enjoys much more than we do.

So, I think we can decide that Jack Ryan's posts just get
automatically hidden, regardless of content and context. What's
problematic is his behavior and the disrespect with which he treats
U-C IMC and the other's who use our website, not the content of any
one of his posts, per se.

I do some of the editing duties on the website, though Mike does most
of it. But I would be glad to make a daily watch of the site and hide
anything by Jack. It's easy to do with dada's editor interface. I
don't think it will take long to discourage him once everything he
posts gets hidden and ignored. He does it to get a rise out of people
and get attention -- once we deprive him of that, I think it'll slow
him down, and certainly make him less of a nuisance.

With specific regard to the ability to choose a new screen name -- if
that were his tactic, then he'd have already done it. Whoever Jack
Ryan is, he enjoys being Jack Ryan and takes some pride in whatever
effect his posts have on people. If he just wanted to be pure
provocateur, it wouldn't matter what name he used. But the fact that
he sticks to Jack Ryan shows that he doesn't want to be truly
anonymous -- he wants the perks of having an identity.

If he hide all of Jack Ryan, he may turn up as another name, but the
behavior should be easy to identify, because I don't think he will
change tactics.

On last note: I do think that we should post to the newswire that we
intend to take it up at Steering. This way, we show all users of the
site that we are truly open, and that if Jack weren't a coward, he
could come and defend himself to our faces.

--Paul