[Imc-web] Libel and copyright infringement on your site

dsword at macalester.edu dsword at macalester.edu
Thu Oct 14 17:35:54 CDT 2004

Dear Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center:

I am writing to inform you that material contained on your website at
rights in that it a) is libelous and b) infringes upon copyright
protections granted under the Copyright Act of 1976 and the Digital
Millenium Copyright Act of 1998.

The page claims that I am a member of the ISM, which is not remotely
correct. I have never been to an ISM meeting, never received ISM
mailings, never demonstrated in support of the ISM. The attacks against
my character are made without any supporting evidence (the ISM is not
mentioned in any of my statements reproduced on the site), and is
therefore libelous.

Furthermore, a personal letter of my penmanship not intended for
dissemination is reproduced on this webpage. See Salinger v. Random
House Inc., 811 F.2d 90 as an example of controlling caselaw. There are
two important points: 1) I retain the right to determine first
publication of my own writings, including personal letters and 2) the
reproduction of a copyrighted item in its entirety is in no case
protected under the fair use doctrine.

I hereby request that this material be removed immediately.

Sincerely,
Daniel Swrod