[Imc-web] Re: [Imc-staff] New York Times Syndicate--trademark infringement

Wendy Edwards wedwards at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 23 11:36:52 CST 2005

Dear Mr. Wren,

To be honest, I find the claim about actual and potential damage
to the NYT to be dubious.  It's more plausible that John Shelton
Ivany may be using numerous mentions on the web to defraud people.
Trying to force outside websites to remove any mention of his
name smacks of bullying and censorship.  However, I'd point out
that Indy Media is an open publishing newswire, which means that
anyone can posts stories and features.  Therefore, if you'd like
to publish a story about Ivany and his "list," you'd be welcome to
do so.  It would almost certainly be more visible than a 3-year-old
archived email.  Our main site is located at http://www.ucimc.org
and there's a "publish" link at the top.  Specifically, the link is
at http://www.ucimc.org/newswire/index.php?function=publish
Since one of the UCIMC mailing lists was involved, I think that it
would be appropriate to check the "local interest" box.

Wendy Edwards