[Imc-web] [Imc-info] Question and concern (fwd)

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 4 21:29:09 CST 2005

Hi Jeff,
The article you cited is one of many that was posted Tuesday by a
persistent abuser of our website, more commonly known as a troll. In
fact, there were some 100 copies of this same article posted over a
period of about a half-hour this evening, after an earlier copy was
hidden by me. Except for one copy of this article, which was hidden from
public view for record keeping purposes, all of these postings were
deleted from our database.

Although we have a collective editorial team, we cannot always deal with
abusive posts immediately, although we do a fairly effective job of it
in most cases. Because we do have an open publishing policy, anyone --
even an racist fool like the person who engages in this kind of behavior
-- can post to our website.

In the vast majority of cases, this important allowance for freedom of
the press and speech by Indymedia is not abused. In cases like this,
where an individual's past behavior has been such that they are no
longer allowed to use our facilities, such posts are removed as soon as
possible. To completely eliminate this possibility by doing away with
freedom of the press for everyone through open publishing by requiring
stories to be prescreened is not something we are prepared to do.

In fact, given this person's past behavior -- he has also posted
virulently racist tracts from a Zionist point of view, oddly enough --
his real objective may be pressure Indymedia to retreat from open
publishing, which we will not do. Despite its occasional rough edges,
open publishing is one of the founding principles of the Indymedia
movement, one that is too important to us to abandon.

We are sorry that you found the story troubling, but please be assured
it did not last long on our Newswire. However, we sometimes find it
difficult to keep up with the intentionally abusive tactics of such
people intent on making open publishing difficult. I was deleting this
crap about as fast as it was posted, but this is something that does not
totally prevent such a story from briefly appearing on UC IMC.

And at least two of our regular readers did speak out against this very
story, although their comments are now only visible to editors since
they were made to articles that were being deleted by me as they were
made. Please rest assured that you, too, along with anyone else who
wishes to do so, can comment on any IMC story, whether in support or
against. However, sometimes there is a thin line between speaking out
and possibly feeding the troll (because that is what is surely going on
in this person's tiny mind) and being patient for a few minutes until
such an obviously abusive use of our website is dealt with by the editors.

I would be glad to answer any more questions you might have about our
editorial policy.
Regards,
Mike Lehman