[Imc-web] responsible journalism

Belden Fields a-fields at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 13 22:29:15 CDT 2006

Hi Danielle,

I was just rereading your e-mail re: what is fit to print on the IMC
website.  There you write that "Because I have seen many primary
documents in this case, I do know that the statements that Stacy has
accused other men of color with similar acts is very probable."  Yet,
at the end of your e-mail, where you are talking about responsible
journalism, you say that "It would stick to only that which can be
well documented."  I would say that "very probable" in your mind is
very different from "well documented" as I, and I think most people,
would understand it.   We have two very serious issues here, an
accused person's right to a fair trial regardless of his or her race,
and an accuser's right to file a criminal complaint if he or she
feels criminally abused without being punished by media of exposure
of accusations that are not, in your words, "well-documented."  I
don't have to tell you that just as racism has resulted in unjust
criminal verdicts, so has the attempt to destroy the reputations of
women resulted in their reluctance to press chargers against sexual
abusers.  If the IMC is not careful on both counts, it is our
reputation as fighters for social justice across the board that will
suffer.  Given feedback I have been getting, it is already suffering.
In friendship and solidarity,
Belden