[Imc-web] Feature on Firehaus

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 6 10:46:50 CDT 2006

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure how appropriate it was to feature the Boycott Firehaus article.
  There is nothing in the article that gives any indication as to the
truthfulness of the claim--no independent verification, and the facts that
are claimed are vague.  We just have Martin Smith's word for it, kind of a
"he said, he said" situation.  It would have been better to find a third
party to investigate, and then write an article with verifiable facts.
Maybe what happened is true, but as it's presented, it's not good
journalism.  Publishing a call for a boycott based on these kinds of
circumstances is questionable.

--Phil

Mike wrote:

I made this a Feature:
http://www.ucimc.org/feature/display/118671/index.php

It is sadly hypocritical that someone willing to lay down his life for
his country is not allowed to drink in peace in the T-shirt of his
choice. Given reports this spring of some campus bars refusing service
to foreign students because they use their passports as IDs, it is clear
that certain aspects of the campus scene are devolving into bad parodies
of the 1950s, with only a "certain" crowd being allowed to patronize
what are ostensibly public establishments for reasons both specious and
profoundly disturbing.