Follow-up to: [Imc-web] Re: Hiding comments, etc.

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 23 23:33:32 CDT 2006

Phil,
I think one of the problems of modernity is that morality is entangled
with the law in ways that are inimical to both religion and to freedom.

You wrote:
> the fact that I think that homosexual behavior is a sin automatically
> disqualifies me from having anything to say on the matter, even if I
> argued that such laws were invalid.
If you're talking about determining what the law might be, then yes, I
see a problem. Because what you see as a sin is very different from what
I or many other people see as a sin. And argument that you think such
laws are invalid doesn't help much if you're basically willing to lay
down in front of the bus carrying those supporting their repeal. It
doesn't seem to help much when you want to frame a religious argument as
taking precedence over a legal one.

I didn't attend the event, but I doubt that the minister who you were
arguing against made the argument that the Bible was arguing in favor of
equal marriage. I think her theology is based on some different concepts
than yours, so that kind of turnabout-is-fair-play would probably not
even occur to her, but I'm not a theologian, so I should probably just
move on.

As far as my opinion goes, the less religion, per se, and the more
morality -- of the Golden Rule and definitely not of the prescriptive,
and divisive, biblical kind -- in government, the better. It would be
the end to capitalism as we know it, the end of US  imperialism, and
probably a better work all around.

As for my evaluation of the discomfort raised in the Indymedia community
by your discourse, I stand by it. People are very tolerant here, but I
think they are also extremely uncomfortable with being told that the
views of the majority of us who are inclined to give aid and comfort to
what you consider sinful will eventually put many of us in the position
of feeling a need to publicly take sides in this -- and it will most
likely be to denounce and repudiate views that transgress the rather
universal norm in Indymedia that "ye shall not judge, least ye too shall
be judged" when  it comes to such topics.

Which is where I think this really is getting rather off-topic for this
list. Anything you are willing to put a name to is something we don't
deal with here. We deal with anonymous trolling and things that Steering
has tasked us with following through on. What you want to write as a UC
IMC member is your business. I only raised these cautions because you
seemed interested in how people were reacting. You're welcome to dismiss
my advice, as that is all it is.
Mike Lehman