[Imc-web] Please take this lightly...

dan blah dan.blah at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 15:54:35 CDT 2007

On 4/8/07, Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Dan,
> There are several reasons. First, the hidden comments fit a longstanding
> pattern of abusive anonymous posting here. This is a fairly well-defined
> pattern and I've been sending such postings to File 13 for the last
> three years, while inviting whoever it is to discuss the issue here on
> imc-web, so far without any effect other than the persistence of this
> person. Perhaps it is time for Steering to consider if this pattern
> justifies authorization to get this person's IP and block them. I
> personally prefer that the behavior itself simply go away, so putting
> such crap into Hidden also serves as a guide to other users about how
> our editorial policy is enforced. I am far less concerned with
> identifying a particular person, which brings up the touchy issue of
> anonymity. Despite the extra work this causes, I'd rather hide this crap
> than identify the person generating it. But at this point, I would
> support an IP id and block in this particular case, as we're clearly
> dealing with someone whose compulsion to do this can't be discouraged.
>
> Second, because this continues a pattern of BD having his own personal
> troll. It's time this ended. It's fine to argue with Brian and his
> reporting, but the constant drumbeat of negativity and cheap shots is
> not contributing to the impression that this somehow is what is the
> expected level of discourse on UC IMC. It sure sounds like a blog
> though, but we're not a blog.
>
> And they simply are off-topic. The article is about police behavior, not
> about the fact that some troll doesn't like BD. No one "compared" BD to
> Martin Luther King. It was merely noted that activists have always been
> criticized and attacked in such ways by those who prefer the status quo
> remain unchanged. This sort of ridiculous exaggeration is also part of
> the pattern I've been dealing with. Is it worth anyone's time to answer
> this crap? Generally not and you'll rarely see anyone responding to it,
> even when I haven't had the chance to deal with it promptly, because our
> users have a lot of experience with not feeding the trolls.
>
> BTW, if we can get a consensus that we want UC IMC to basically look and
> read like blog, like Illini Pundit, then we can just simplify the whole
> thing and turn the keys over to those folks. Because that's what it will
> be in no time and I want nothing to do with such a thing. Remember,
> they're the dominant opinion and will quickly dominate and discourage
> the communities we are here to serve. That is why for all the patience
> we had with "Jack Ryan" we had to eventually bite the bullet and kick
> him and his associated discourse off the site, resulting in the current
> editorial policy. It simply discouraged legitimate users from the site.
> I would not be surprised if that was the intention from the first place.
>
> I didn't spend the time I have editing to end up in such an eventuality,
> [...]
Thank you for the clarification Mike.  My purpose was just that.  As a
new user on this list it is hard to find out this information without
prodding.  I don't think i disagree on any points or how ucimc.org is
generally run.

I agree we do not want to be of the blog fashion but am still slightly
concerned on how we handle the comments on the grey line.  Is it the
original commenter, who's comment was part off topic and part on
topic, who's at fault or the commenter who commented on the 50% that
was off topic?

Point is, that it takes as much effort to hide a comment for being off
topic as it does to comment on an off topic comment being off topic.
This also informs the rest of the community as to our guidelines.

--
Daniel