[Imc-web] Re: Feature, and a Question

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 8 14:35:52 CST 2007

Hi Brian,
I don't know who de-featured it. Nobody is telling me anything or
posting it to the IMC-web list, where it _should_ be, and I am starting
to wonder WTF is going in general with editing, as long-established
policies are being ignored right and left.

I suspect someone has somehow gotten editor privileges and, like you,
isn't on the IMC-web list. I am going to cc my reply here to you to
IMC-web anyway, in the hopes that somebody will fess up and we can get
this straightened out before I or somebody else gets POed, instead of
just frustrated with people screwing around with editing who obviously
are clueless about how this is accomplished.

I will note a problem that is easy to fix and that is your posting new
articles as both an article and a comment. This gets very confusing to
readers, who will comment in on place and then find the same thing is
somewhere else, thus leading them to copy their comments, starting an
endless circle of duplication that is mroe confusing to readers than it
is enlightening. If you want people to be aware in older articles of new
info, it's best to just post a link to the new info/article as a
comment, instaed of the entire new article being duplicated as a
comment, too. That way things don't get anymore chaotic than the website
really needs to be. If you need to know how to do that, let me know.

There is plenty else to discuss, but this will need to wait until we can
meet, as I have other commitments right now and there's plenty of
relatively complicated editing issues to explore. I do NOT want to make
it seem like the way things have been done is the way it needs to be
done in the future. But we do need to agree on things together if we're
going to start making changes in web editing policies and procedures or
we'll all end upset by something if we don't get on the same page soon.
Mike Lehman