[Imc-web] Editing Etiquette and Noting Some Needed Updates Again

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 24 14:20:02 CST 2007

I've added Brian Dolinar to the imc-web list, since he apparently didn't
add himself to the list when I suggested that this was SOP for web
editors after he was granted editing privileges. All web editors must be
on this list, as it is the primary means by which this function is
handled at UC IMC.

Just to go over this again -- although I know that everyone should
already be aware of this, because I made sure to CC the info to Brian
the last time it came up a couple of weeks ago.

If you make a story into a Feature, please remember that you should send
a brief message to this list, including a link to the story as a
feature, with a brief justification for why the feature was created.

Announcements, except for IMC events, are generally not made into
features. Exceptions can be made, but this justification must be
included as part of the feature justification.

I want to raise one thing I do have a concern with, given the ways
things have been going. The feature that Brian created today announces
the upcoming plea bargain date for the long-running Myers story, which
has been the subject of numerous prior features. My recall on this is
not perfect, but most of its content has actually been previously
featured. And I suspect that this story may finally be resolved this
coming week, after many false starts. Then I presume that Brian will do
a story on what is actually new news, the outcome.

So I am a bit troubled that the plea bargain announcement is now a
feature. This also contributes to some of the misunderstanding in the
community about the difference between our users -- people like Brian
who actually do the writing and retain ownership and responsiobility for
it -- and the IMC itself -- where decisions on what should be featured
are subject to some sort of group vetting process, even though we assume
that the creators of content can also involved in this decisionmaking
process.

This is a potential problem, if we somehow let it appear that there is
no distinction between the two aspects of using Indymedia, because our
editing needs to use this small bit of discretion due to the status of
UC IMC as a non-profit. We are here to serve underserved parts of the
community, but we also must not give the appearance of simply being an
extension of any group's political project, no matter how good or
compatible it might be with the wide range of political interests
represented in the underserved communities that UC IMC exists to support
through our making available to them easy media access.

I would suggest that the announcement of the upcoming plea bargain
should be de-featured, under the presumption that we will actually have
new content upcoming shortly on this story that will clearly be eligible
to be a feature.

There are many more policies and understandings that are part of web
editing legacy that may be unfamiliar to new editors. I'd be glad to
have a meeting to discuss and/or clarify any of this. Our editorial
policy page is buried on the old website, but it was agreed several
years ago it needed a rewire to reflect actual practice as it has
evolved through various Steering group decisions and into the present
form of leaving much of the actual decisionmaking to the Web group, in
order to incporate current policy. This has been working well with the
fairly stable and small group of editors we've been operating with, but
is also somewhat less than optimal from being transparent to anyone new
being involved as well as to website users.