[Imc-web] Re: [UCIMC-Tech] Re: [Imc] Today's Internet Outage

dan blah blah at chambana.net
Fri Jul 13 09:30:32 CDT 2007

please continue this discussion on the imc-tech list only.  if you are
not on the imc-tech list and would like to join please visit:

Matthew Isaacs wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 22:06 -0500, Stuart Levy wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 07:29:10PM -0500, dan blah wrote:
>>
>>> echo but for most all of today.  anyone want to donate a bunch of money
>>> so we can get something better than insight to provide internet for the
>>> several hundred users of chambana.net :)
>>>
>> What else is available?
>>
>> I have mcleodusa DSL at home... it's not very fast (768/256kbps),
>> but is reliable.  If you had more money, which services could you use?
>>

> DSL is, in general, too slow for what chambana.net does, at least the
> way that it currently does things.  AT&T has some new faster options
> that may be viable (6.0Mbps down / 768Kbps up).  That however, is slower
> than what Insight gives us.  According to Dan, the last time I asked,
> Insight gives us 10Mbps down / 2 Mbps up.  Now, you have to figure that
> only about 80-85% of those speeds are available due to overhead.
> Typically with insight, when I've measured the actually throughput of
> the line, we max out at 1.5Mbps upload.  Now, WRFU does streaming audo,
> which, while the listeners don't connect directly, utilizes a good
> portion of the upload bandwidth, 24/7 (I believe they use somewhere
> around 192-256 Kbps, plus overhead).  I know of at least one other radio
> station to do streaming audio (to a 3rd party server for the listeners
> to connect to, just like WRFU) on comparable bandwidth and they had to
> switch to a T-1 line as the cable line was not able to cope with the
> load.

2mbps or even 1.5mbps would be fine if it was symmetric, insight is not.
> What Dan is suggesting around is obtaining some sort of dedicated
> service, such as a T-1 (or several of these).  However, a single T-1 at
> the lowest rate I've seen for the area is still over $300/month, plus
> extra equipment that is need to interface to the circuit.  Additionally,
> a T-1 only provides 1.5Mbps down / 1.5Mbps up, but is generally much
> more reliable than any "consumer grade" service.  This may be sufficient
> for upload chambana.net hosting, however it does not really buy us more
> than the increased reliability.  The 1.5Mbps may suffice for general
> office use, however I can not say that with certainty, as I don't know
> how many people use the IMC internet connection, what they use it for,
> and how much they use.  All of those would factor into whether 1.5Mbps
> is sufficient.

right-o, speakeasy is the cheapest ($399) and again does not serve this
area.  att is over $500/mo which may or may not include local transit.
> Another alternative may be Volo.  They typically provide 3 Mbps down / 3
> Mbps up, and are quite reliable.  OJC and several other business I know
> of use Volo's service for their operations.  The downside to Volo is
> that it is not an unmetered line, i.e. they charge you per Megabit of
> traffic you send and receive (typically you purchase it in blocks).
>
> The bandwidth issue can also be avoided altogether if chambana switches
> all (or most) of its services to running on a host located in a
> dedicated data center.  Depending on service options, etc, this runs
> anywhere from $20 to $200 per month.

volo would be nice.  does anyone know how much more weight the wrfu
tower can hold?  would be interesting to offer them tower space in
return for bandwidth...
> I hope this helps further the discussion.
>
> --
> Matt

another option is setting up a point to point wireless link to some one
with more bw than they need.  we could maybe pitch this idea to urbana
(who is peered fairly well).