[Imc-web] UCIMC Editorial Policy

Model Train Lover model.train.lover at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 23:12:46 CDT 2007

ML said:
It should be permanent, because of the continued abuse and the fact
that this is the exact same person who's already blown several user
namers for the exact same shit.

I hate to burst your bubble, but this is false.  It might comfort you
to think that there's only one person that disagrees with BD's
arguments, but "Xander," as far as I know, is this user's first user
name.  He is an entirely different person than me (I don't know who he
is, but that doesn't prevent me from knowing that it isn't me), a
recently banned user.

The comment in question brings up an extremely important critique of
the article (and is extremely on-topic and relevant) - that BD's
assertion of a 19th century debtor's prison is a completely false
characterization, as they imprisoned debtors to third, private
parties, not criminals that failed to pay their fines to the state.

ML, your recommendation for a permanent ban is founded on false
assumptions and recommends an excessively harsh punishment for a user
who began to follow your guidelines.  Xander's contributions to the
discourse relied on facts, and he ended his commentary on UCIMC
editorial policies, as requested.  His comments continue to remain
on-topic, and his critiques of BD's articles allow BD to strengthen
his argument and improve his journalism.

Also, as someone commented earlier, the "trolling" only occurs in
response to BD's articles, not all articles.  Thus, your fear of said
actions scaring away other journalists is unfounded, as people do not
readily "troll" the articles on UCIMC - just those they feel rely on
illogical assumptions.