[Imc-web] Inappropriate Post

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 07:27:19 CST 2007

Is there a time when we can meet in person to talk?
Wendy's comments border on character assassination
and i'd prefer to she bring them to me in person
rather than from an arm chair.
This isn't the first time.
I'd also like Chris Evans to be in on this conversation.

Wendy - you should recognize that it is not Chris and I who are who a
problem.
The St Atty is doing plenty to discredit any notion of justice in Champ
county.

I can give you documented and first hand information.
The Myers case would never have made the light of day
if it weren't for ucimc.

Why is Wendy bending over backwards to defend the State's Atty?
I would like an answer.

I'm available Tuesday night or Thursday.

BD

On 3/5/07, Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I never really thought that I'd ever need to make a request like this of
> an Indymedia editor, at least if I wasn't at SF IMC or some other
> benighted IMC backwater, but I suppose there's a first for everything.
> In fact, I waited a couple of hours to write this, so that my comments
> here deal with the issues and not the pain I'm feeling over this.
>
> One of the first unwritten principles of Indymedia is what we're here
> for: Indymedia exists to comfort the afflicted and afflict the
> comfortable. This can often be disconcerting, particularly when we see
> things that push our personal comfort envelope.
>
> However...
> I do NOT see the reason behind the need for a comment that suggests that
> regular users of UC IMC are engaged in writing fiction -- most
> especially one made by an editor of the site. We might as well leave the
> editing to the trolls if that is the best we can do. Even worse is to
> think that such a suggestion was important enough to rate being the
> subject of an article, in addition to the comment itself.
>
> Wendy, I know you well enough to realize that you probably made these
> posts in jest. But in the context, just like the context of the story
> the comment was first associated with, it was monumentally insensitive.
> Are you really suggesting that the idea that the justice system in
> Champaign County, let alone Illinois or the US as a whole, is not
> afflicted by endemic racism? That such an idea is a fiction? Because it
> sure sounds like that is what you are referring to. I can't help but
> think that others, who perhaps don't know you as well, would jump to
> that conclusion. And I do NOT -- in fact -- will NOT defend that. Hell,
> we might as well hand editing over to the News-Gazette editorial staff
> as trouble ourselves with trying to offer any alternatives, no matter
> how imperfect they might be.
>
> I realize you have a discomfort with some of Brian's reporting. I'd
> suggest that you either meet with him to discuss your issues or you
> refrain from further editing if you feel that such comments are in
> order. The state's attorney is a big girl -- she can defend herself. It
> is completely inappropriate for you to engage in activity which, if it
> had been anonymously posted, I would have dealt with for the obvious
> trolling it seems to be on the face of it, because holding the reporting
> of others, as well as what are surely the heartfelt comments of what
> appear to be regular users of the site up to contempt is simply
> unacceptable for an editor to engage in. It calls into question the
> judgment we all use, if you engage in such behavior.
>
> I would feel much better about this if you removed both posts immediately.
> Mike Lehman

Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
303 W. Locust St.
Urbana, IL 61801