[Imc-web] Inappropriate Post

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Tue Mar 6 20:29:19 CST 2007

I would like to call a meeting of the IMC web editing team so that we
can meet face to face to address the following (as well as anything
else others would like to add to the agenda).

Posting administrative information publicly.
--> Administrators have access to information such as account e-mails
and IP addresses that the public does not.  Recently an IMC web editor
posted information about the source of anonymous posts.  I find this
inappropriate and would like to suggest a policy where we make it
clear that IMC web editors are not to engage in this.

IMC Web Editor perogative
--> I am concerned with web editors engaging in trolling-like
behavior, in a recent case, against another IMC member.  The best way
to handle concerns about accuracy of information coming out of IMC
journalists is to engage in conversation.  I would like to invite
Wendy, Brian, Chris, Mike, and others to the table to discuss the
reporting on the Myers case and allow for reasonable face to face
conversation about concerns, giving Wendy the ability to raise them
and Brian the ability to respond to them.  I would also like to weigh
in on this discussion.

Policy for adding and removing items from the features section.
--> I recently added a feature to the center panel.  I did not follow
our policy of e-mailing the group when I did this, nor have many other
editors.  It was removed.  I was a bit miffed, but like I said, I
didn't follow policy, and I have no lingering issues with the removal
other than the desire to establish what our policy is regarding
posting and removal of features.  Also there is this nifty area where
an admin can weight a story - we should talk about using this.  This
could have been used, for example, to keep the IMC fundraiser at the
top while allowing other features to be posted.

Policy for hiding posts.
--> There have been a number of times I have wondered why certain
posts were hidden.   I would like a recap on the policy for hiding
posts, pull out a few examples, and have the hider explain their
reasoning.

Outreach
--> Right now there are 3-4 web editors who are actively editing the
web.  I would like for us to consider how we can expand that pool.
For example all the current editors are white - I would like for us to
talk about diversifying perhaps through invitation.

None of this is not to put anyone on the defensive - I just want to
better understand our own policies.

What about meeting the week of Spring break?  I can do Tues, Wed, or
Thurs night.  Please respond to the list to let me know.

thanks!
Danielle

P.S. Does anyone know how I got removed from the IMC-web list?  I had
to go through the archives to see recent e-mails and resubscribe
myself.