[Imc-web] Notes from 3/15 meeting

dan blah dan.blah at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 18:01:27 CDT 2007

sorry i missed th e meeting, it's been a long rough week.  below are
some of my thoughts/ideas:

On 3/17/07, Danielle Chynoweth <chyn at ojctech.com> wrote:
> IMC-Web
> 3.14.07
>
> Wendy, Brian, Danielle, Mike
> These are VERY ROUGH notes - I was tired - dc
>
> History
> ML: Steering devolved power to IMC web which shrunk to Mike.  Now we have a
> collective again.
>
>  Policy for hiding posts?
> DC's e-mail: --> There have been a number of times I have wondered why
> certain
> posts were hidden.   I would like a recap on the policy for hiding
> posts, pull out a few examples, and have the hider explain their
> reasoning.
>
> ML: Jack Ryan decision:  Look at Fall 2004 notes for reference.
>     We decided against trolling: short, snide, personal, picking a fight.
>     Dave G wrote something out - where is it?
>     Listserv ettique issue with Sandra A and John W
>     All account holders are treated as an IMC members.
>     Appeals process - you can get on IMC-web (look at old site policy)
>     Anonymous - anything that appears to be trolling can be hidden.
>     Mike L hides posts based on content, not IP addresses or sources.
>     Mike traces patterns to individual trollers.

can someone write this out more clearly so i can add it to our wiki?

> DC: Let's define and post definition of trolling, with how to remedy a
> hidden post. - personal attacks, etc.

can someone write this out more clearly so i can add it to our wiki?

> WE: Consider universal code of civility.

i have no idea what this means... i have read organizations versions
of these but this is the first i have ever heard this used here.
would be nice if we could define this rather than pawn it off to a
universal blah that the universe is supposed to just understand.

> BD: Let people going over a line stand for itself.

this would be nice if we all saw eye to eye.  see below suggestion of
a editor assisted user moderated site.  that is the only way i could
be all for a site where a line will *always* stand for itself.

> work on revised policy over time, making that policy public.
>

> Policy for adding and removing items from the features section?
> DC's email --> I recently added a feature to the center panel.  I did not
> follow
> our policy of e-mailing the group when I did this, nor have many other
> editors.  It was removed.  I was a bit miffed, but like I said, I
> didn't follow policy, and I have no lingering issues with the removal
> other than the desire to establish what our policy is regarding
> posting and removal of features.  Also there is this nifty area where
>  an admin can weight a story - we should talk about using this.  This
> could have been used, for example, to keep the IMC fundraiser at the
> top while allowing other features to be posted.

wiki wiki wiki

> DC: Propose that IMC editors can request changes to an author before posting
> a story in a feature. Author must except before changes (other than spelling
> and grammar) are done.

> to IMC-web when we make a feature, providing reasoning, and allowing other
> editors to contest.
>

> Administrative information publicly?
> DC's e-mail --> Administrators have access to information such as account
> e-mails
> and IP addresses that the public does not.  Recently an IMC web editor
> posted information about the source of anonymous posts.  I find this
> inappropriate and would like to suggest a policy where we make it
> clear that IMC web editors are not to engage in this.

for sure...  this is huge and should never be considered ever.

> WE: proposes Sock Puppetry - where one person appears to be more than one
> person to support their position - be considered unethical.
>
> Lots of discussion on "sock puppetry" versus playing devils advocate.

> editors are privy to in a public way.  We should really not even look at
> this info unless we have an administrative reason to do so.

even having it available is largely frowned upon within the global
tech community.  making it publicly known we have it available is not
a good thing.

> IMC Web Editor perogative
> DC's e-mail: --> I am concerned with web editors engaging in trolling-like
> behavior, in a recent case, against another IMC member.  The best way
> to handle concerns about accuracy of information coming out of IMC
> journalists is to engage in conversation.  I would like to invite
> Wendy, Brian, Chris, Mike, and others to the table to discuss the
> reporting on the Myers case and allow for reasonable face to face
> conversation about concerns, giving Wendy the ability to raise them
> and Brian the ability to respond to them.  I would also like to weigh
> in on this discussion.

imc web editors should hold a weekly radio show/podcast discussing the
uc-imc frontpage stories for outreach with a bi product of promoting
some sort of working relationship.

> BD: What did you disagree with in my writing?  Give examples.
>
> WE: Calling for the firing of Mary Shenck and replacing her with someone of
> a "brighter color."  It was "tacky" to write directly to her.  Also not all
> people of color are the same.
>
> BD: There is not a single writer of color at the NG.  I have met with Howie.
>  I have confronted Mary Shenck.
>
> DC: Mary's story was one of the worst piece of journalism I have ever seen.
>
> ML: We are here to tell truth mixed with opinion.  We have never been
> "objective".
>
> WE: This is such a black and white version of the world.
>
> DC: Well, say that on the website.
>
> WE: Blogger bash was bashing the IMC - it was embarrassing.
>
> DC: We could make it clearer how people could bring up grievances to us -
> they can join the website, come to a steering meeting.  We are not going to
> censor ourselves so arm chair activists don't criticize us behind our backs.

why not just have a form on the website that sends to the web list?
we should also have a contact page with a phone number and such on it.

> WE: Why have an open public list?
>
> DC: For accountability.
>
> ... more said here, but I stopped taking notes.  Mostly we discussed whether
> race plays a role in the criminal justice system.  Wendy was invited to hear
> from black folks at CU Citizens on this.
>

> Outreach
> DC's e-mail: Right now there are 3-4 web editors who are actively editing
> the web.  I would like for us to consider how we can expand that pool. For
> example all the current editors are white - I would like for us to talk
> about diversifying perhaps through invitation.

we could always do the 'digg' style of promoting along side using
moderators (see http://www.digg.com).  this allows visitors to give a
story basically a thumbs up or thumbs down or a 5 star rating.
stories that meet our threshold automagically get promoted to the
front page.

> Never got to this.
>
> - Danielle

Daniel