[Imc-web] my last comment

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 25 13:09:10 CDT 2007

Wendy,

First of all, I am not ccing this to Kevin. It is always most useful if
we can come to some sort of consensus before inviting the whole world
into the discussion. Otherwise as a medium serving minority points of
view, we simply end up allowing UC IMC to be used to replicate existing
disparities in the media.

Moving on, let’s reflect on the UC IMC mission statement as a starting
point:

"The Independent Media Center is a global network of collectively run
media outlets for the creation of radical, accurate, and passionate
tellings of truth. We are motivated by a love and inspiration for people
who work for a better world despite corporate media's distortions and
unwillingness to cover efforts to develop an egalitarian and sustainable
society.

"The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center is a grassroots
organization committed to using media production and distribution as
tools for promoting social and economic justice in the Urbana area. We
are dedicated to addressing issues that the mainstream media neglects
and we do not conceal our politics behind a false objectivity. We will
empower people to "become the media" by providing democratic access to
available technologies and information."

There are several assumptions implicit in this statement that I feel you
have been ignoring in favor of the “free speech” model that is so
favored by the dominant media. To do otherwise will undermine our
ability to challenge existing inequalities, facilitating their
continuing dominance of the discourse in the corporate media, which
maintain and preserve existing inequalities.

You assert that there are “too many things we don’t know at this point”
about how white privilege functions within the local justice system
despite clear evidence that it seems deeply implicated in perpetuating
existing inequalities. I find it most curious that those such as
“Ishmael” seem unwilling or unable to address this evidence, although
they still seem to find time to attack BD. On the other hand, there are
those like Kevin who want to hide behind a screen of anonymity to insist
on a place at the table to defend these inequalities.

I see no reason to facilitate such abuse of our mission.

It discourages and silences the audiences we were established to serve
if they come to UC IMC and find pretty much the same arguments they find
when they tune in WDWS, read the News-Gazette, and surf to Illini
Pundit. I see no reason to replicate this discourse on UC IMC and even
less need to facilitate it by undermining long established consensus
about our editorial policy.

Anonymously, Kevin stated:

“…many on the Left refuse to acknowledge the fact that black people
commit more violent crimes, as a percentage of their population, than
non-blacks.”

This is a very disturbing and frankly racist statement. Posted from
someone anonymously, it has no place on UC IMC. And expecting “the Left”
to ever buy into such eugenic bullshit is simply delusional, in fact
just as delusional as Bobby Meade’s rants.

You were careful to draw a far more circumspect conclusion about the
data, one that I feel fails to take into account abundant evidence of
racial disparities in the justice system. Given that these disparities
are NOT fostered by the powerless, but by the powerful who make the
policy decisions at their discretion that perpetuate these inequalities,
I am willing to take at face value your different and more thoughtful
statement that what “we do know is that black people are
disproportionately more likely to be criminal defendants in Champaign
County.” While I disagree with at least one of the premises of your
statement because you choose to so narrowly draw it, it is also one that
does take into account the nuances of this discussion in accord with the
UC IMC mission statement. Kevin’s statement clearly does not. I am more
than a little uneasy that you seem to be leaving the door open to
arguments that there is a biological or cultural basis for a propensity
toward crime among African-Americans when you say “Is this because
they're more likely to commit the crimes in the first place? Maybe, but
we don't really know.” I really don’t see how any thoughtful person can
credibly assert that such an argument has any factual basis, even if we
choose to acknowledge that people who do make such white supremacist
statements exist.

I don’t mean to sound so abrasive, but let’s be frank. If the justice
system exercised the same skepticism and doubt about many of the cases
that are brought before it as you do about what the statistics
illustrating the outcomes of this system suggest, there would probably
be no need to even have this discussion. Justice would be far better
served. Instead, the legal system has shown a propensity to time and
time again deliver gross inequalities and jump to conclusions that you
seem to pass over lightly. And I can’t for the life of me understand
your indecision about the minimum assumptions one can logically draw
about such outcomes. All I know is that to me is sounds a lot like the
“false objectivity” that our mission statement implores that we struggle
against. But as long as you’re careful to couch your indecision in much
more circumspect tones than Kevin does, I am personally willing to give
you the benefit of the doubt. But if I were some random member of a
minority reading your arguments about this for the first time here, not
knowing you, I would be far less generous in assessing your character,
because I would have already seen basically the same argument about
racially disparate outcomes in the justice system in the editorial
section of the News-Gazette, spouting from the lips of some shill for
Sinclair Broadcasting or, with a little more frankness, in a piece of
white supremacist literature.

What is more, should we leave Kevin’s statement there as part of the
range of acceptable discourse on the website, it will only encourage
more of those like Kevin to come here anonymously to dump the same pile
of steaming shit onto UC IMC. The only fit place for such discussions
here on UC IMC is for it to be in the hidden files, where it can serve
as an example of what is not an acceptable manner in which to use the
resources we provide for “media production and distribution as tools for
promoting social and economic justice.” Kevin and those like him should
take such discourse where it is welcome if they want it to be easily
seen – someplace other than UC IMC. The internet is a big place, with
lots of friendly spaces even for such disturbing and unsupportable
ideas. And I really, really, really doubt that anyone reading UC IMC is
unaware of such duplicitous arguments in support of white privilege or
who needs Kevin, Ishmael or anyone else to drop by and point it out
again for our edification for the nth time. We have no need to give them
any more of platform than they already have – and we have a
responsibility to the underserved communities we were established to
serve to make sure that such discourse does not begin to increasingly
dominate discussions here.

Now is it just Kevin that your reformulation of what UC IMC editorial
policy should be who would be covered if we take the tack you seem to
want us to? That’s hardly the case. To be equitable under such a
formulation, then we should also let those such as Bobby Meade and “DAN”
have their say again also. After all, the ideas they express are not
really all that far from Kevin’s explicitly racist formulation of crime
as a genetic or cultural endowment of African-Americans. If you find
that to be a credible comment worthy of being on UC IMC, then why not
“Jews are money grubbing usurers and suck the blood of babies”? That is
just as credible as Kevin’s statement, if we want to use such a standard.

That said, the comments of others made in this discussion that you
assert are not “any worse than some of the other ones in the discussion”
were mostly made by Ishmael. He’s a registered user and at least that
lets the reader know who to blame for such crap. From Kevin’s email, it
is clear that he may have made at least one of the few other anonymous
comments in that discussion that I did hide. And that he expects he has
some right to make such statements and avoid responsibility for them by
remaining anonymous. And if it wasn’t for your extreme concern that the
powers that be should be given yet another chance here at UC IMC to
reiterate their arguments already so thoroughly disseminated by the
dominant media that otherwise thoughtful people such as yourself give
them unwarranted credibility, I will frankly admit that, yes, I would
have hid some of the other anonymous comments made in the recent
discussions as the racist drivel and distraction from the discussion
they are. I thought addressing your concerns would help to facilitate a
better discussion, but I can see now it’s mostly engendered new demands
from abusive anonymous commenters and yourself to further open the door
to UC IMC basically replicating the same tired arguments found in the
dominant media as one that is a questionable preference in seeking to
serve underserved communities.

If we truly do intend to serve those who the mainstream media neglects,
then UC IMC needs to maintain an editorial policy that discourages the
“Ishmaels,” “protest warriors,” and “Jack Ryan’s” of the world from
posting here, as we have rather consistently done for the last seven
years. We already know from past experience how much allowing this sort
of discourse discourages those from underserved communities from
participating on and at UC IMC. Perhaps you should try looking at the
world through their eyes for once. For UC IMC to represent a community
of shared values, especially those of underserved communities, then it
also needs to be able to draw a line on what is not a shared value in
our community. Assertions that African-Americans have only their genetic
or cultural endowments to blame for what the statistics illustrate are –
and should remain – beyond the range of acceptable discourse at UC IMC.
Otherwise, UC IMC should justly draw the contempt of the underserved
communities we claim to serve as a means toward promoting social and
economic justice.
Mike Lehman