[Imc-web] Reminder on Editing Etiquette/Policy

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 16 14:13:36 CST 2008

Hi Nicole,
Yes, that was the editing I referred to. Not a problem to do that, so
long as it appears that the author of such an email does appear to be
the author of the comment in question. Sending a note to the list lets
others know that the request has been accomplished, as well as
documenting it in case there is any question about it later.

On several occasions in the past, there has been some dispute about
whether the author of an anonymous post was actually the person
requesting the edit. This is just one of the potential editing  problems
with allowing anonymous comments, especially when we now have a group of
editors.  In an earlier, somewhat less secure version of the software,
we also encountered a problem where it seemed that someone who was not
authorized gained access to editing privileges. So it keeps us all on
the same page when notice is made about these changes.

I see that Steve did send a notice of the Featuring of one of the
stories I was referring to, so that's more a question of timing, as our
efforts seem to have passed each other in the mail. We still don't know
who Featured the other story. No problem with either one being a Feature.

Not a big deal with any of this, but since editing is a collective
activity, documenting things avoids any questions.

Please note that comments or articles hidden based on policy can be
documented by simply adding a brief note at the top of the post in
question of why and the initials of the editor involved. There's no need
for a post to the list in such circumstances, as editors can simply view
the post to discern what was done and by whom. The new version of the
software has a number of options that can do similar documentation, but
that's still a work in progress, which we should discuss once the
website has reached stasis.
Mike Lehman