[Imc-web] Organize a call-in party to push low power radio through Congress next week!

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Fri Dec 11 12:59:37 CST 2009

Dear Friends of Community Radio!

*We have a chance to finally pass the Local Community Radio Act after ten
years, but first we have to get it on Congress’s agenda for next week. This
is it-- the time is now!*

Over the next few days, can you encourage each person that walks through
your doors to make a call to their Representative and Senators?

For example, Prometheus will have an open house on Monday for folks to
visit, eat snacks, and call elected officials (see our example invite at the
bottom of this message).

If you don’t have the capacity to plan an open house, can you *send* the
action alert below to all your volunteers, *post* the action alert in your
studio, and *play* the PSAs posted at www.expandlpfm.org this weekend?

If enough of us call, we can get this bill on the agenda in Congress next
week! Get more general background at www.expandlpfm.org. See below for the
action alert, and please forward the alert to everyone who cares about
people-powered media!

-Your pals at the Prometheus Radio Project

*Here's the action alert:*

*Urgent: Help the Local Community Radio Act Jump Through The Flaming Hoop of
Congress!*

This is it! Legislators are getting ready to go home for the holidays, and
since they tend to argue all year long, they do a lot of the actual bill
passing each year between now and December 18, when they leave Washington.

Since the Local Community Radio Act has passed all of its committees, the
House and Senate can pass it at any moment, if we can just get it on the
agenda for next week.

*Take The Leap Now! Here's How:*

Call your Representative’s office and ask to speak to the staff person who
covers telecom issues. After that, do the same when you call your Senators.

To find out your elected official's name, contact info, the name of their
staffer who works on media, and whether they support the bill, go to
http://www.freepress.net/lpfm or call Prometheus at 215-727-9620. Either by
phone or on voicemail, tell the Congressional staffer something like:

“I am a constituent of [Politician X] and I am calling to urge him/her to
support the Local Community Radio Act, HR1147 and S592, which expands the
Low Power FM radio service, creating new opportunities for local media in
our community. Can I count on Politician X to help get this bill passed?”

Even if your Representative or Senator supports the bill, your call will
remind them to make sure that our bill gets decided this week. Afterwards,
let us know how your call went at expandlpfm at prometheusradio.org. Thanks to
everyone for helping to bring low power to the people!

Electromagnetically yours,

The Prometheus Radio Project
(215) 727-9620
www.expandlpfm.org
expandlpfm at prometheusradio.org

P.S. We know — after nine years, we can't believe it, either. We’re pinching
ourselves. But if we all make a final push to get low power radio its day in
Congress, we may finally get this bill passed this week. Let’s free the
airwaves for the rest of us, at last!

*Here's the announcement for our Philly call-in party, as an example for
hosting your own:*

Hey Philly-

Prometheus is having an open house this Monday to help the Local Community
Radio Act jump through the Flaming Hoop of Congress! If you haven't been to
our church basement office in a while, here's your chance to catch up with
the current crew of Prometheus basement denizens, munch on hot pretzels and
peanut chews, and make a few calls to your Congress Creatures.

Everyone who shows up will be entered to win a bag of Prometheus goodies,
including a t-shirt, book, stickers, and more! Also, check out our facebook
event  <http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=197637473863&ref=share><http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=197637473863&ref=share>.
Please invite your friends, and if you can’t make it to the office, call
anyway (the info you need is below). Let’s put this damn bill through the
flaming hoop once and for all!

WHO: Philly folk who want people-powered media
WHAT: Calling party (with hot pretzels!)
WHEN: Monday, Dec 14, 12-7pm
WHERE: Basement of the Calvary Church at 48th & Baltimore Ave
WHY: Freeing the airwaves from corporate control!

-Your Pals at the Prometheus Radio Project

PS: While church regulations prevent us from having an actual flaming hoop
in our office, we will have a hula hoop on hand if you want to bust out your
moves.