[Imc-web] Re: [Imc] Question about story on UCIMC home page.

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun May 31 19:37:59 CDT 2009

Bill,
Thanks for passing along the message. Questions of this nature are best
dealt with at the IMC-Web group address cc-ed on this reply. I've added
the Bookkeeper list also, as Joy or someone else on it may be around
during office hours this week in case they call back.

Just some background on this. This is the person(s) who apparently has
their cap-lock key stuck and who frequently and unabashedly spams the
IMC network with what is often multiple reposts of the same article. For
some time, they were also posting this to the Local Newswire, which is
when I started pulling the plug on this abusive posting behavior. There
also seems to be an effort, despite the limited timeliness and content
of the articles in question, to keep at least one of these articles
always visible hanging on our newswire.

As a poor American who sometimes requires the services if an attorney, I
am not unsympathetic to the issue. In this case, I do think the
messenger severely detracts from any credible capability to do anything
about the problem.

Unfortunately, as far as helping Mumia or anyone else, in the most
recent set of messages -- because if one isn't annoying enough, you
might as well send two -- there was nothing more than a vague appeal to
send a "...A VERY SERIOUS MESSAGE OF PROTEST..." to Congress.

The current article under discussion is titled "INTERNATIONAL PROTEST
WITH GOOGLE NEWS STORY..." but there is no link to take you to the story
in question, making it difficult based on the thin info elsewhere in the
article to even know what is being protested or what should be done
about it. None of this would be a problem, if it hadn't already happened
a hundred times or so here, as well as across the IMC network.

When there have been links posted in the past, they direct readers to
LAWYERS FOR POOR AMERICANS (sorry Bill, but you didn't listen to him
properly, you should always use all-caps ;-)  ), so my first assessment
was that this irritating pattern was some form of link-pimping. Things
have only gone downhill from there.

If anyone hears from this person again, you can direct them to send a
message to imc-web at ucimc.org
and I'll be happy to discuss how to help them knock enough rough edges
off to make these acceptable. After the first dozen times or so, my
changing the all-caps headline to a more appropriate mix of caps and
lower case did not seem to make a strong enough impression to effect any
change. That and a few other minor tweaks could solve the issue, I suppose.

BTW, there's no need for them to establish an account to post or comment
at UC IMC. This may be indicative they have problems beyond being able
to unlock all-caps...
:-(
Mike Lehman