[Imc-web] Stop the Radio Bullies

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Tue Dec 7 10:28:15 CST 2010

Please put a call in today for more community radio.  We are seeing that our
pressure is having an effect.  We only have a few weeks to pass this
legislation!

  [image: Free Press: Action Alert] <http://www.freepress.net/>

     <http://act2.freepress.net/go/1110?akid=2133.9226807.fvyEpT&t=1>

*Tell the NAB: Stop Blocking Local
Radio!<http://act2.freepress.net/go/1110?akid=2133.9226807.fvyEpT&t=2>
*

Danielle,

Corporate radio lobbyists are out of control. We have nearly passed a bill
that will bring new choices and voices to the radio dial, but a powerful
lobby is blocking the vote.

The Local Community Radio Act would put thousands of new community radio
stations on the air. The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), a
lobbying group that represents commercial broadcasters, wants to keep the
public airwaves to itself.

These lobbyists don't care that the bill has broad bipartisan support in
both the House and the Senate. They don't care about bringing democracy to
the airwaves.

Instead, the NAB is pulling strings and calling in favors to get a small
handful of senators to place secret holds on the bill.

The NAB's coercion has gone on for months, and now time is running out to
pass the Local Community Radio Act this year. Enough is enough—it's time to
tell the NAB that we won't let it kill LPFM without a fight.

*Please call NAB President Gordon Smith right now* and tell him: "Stop
blocking better radio. Let Congress pass the Local Community Radio Act."

*Phone number: 202-429-5449*

Here's what you can say:

I am calling to urge Gordon Smith and the National Association of
Broadcasters to support community radio in my town by allowing Congress to
pass the Local Community Radio Act.

After you make the call, click here to tell us how it
went<http://act2.freepress.net/go/1110?akid=2133.9226807.fvyEpT&t=3>.

If we overcome this industry-backed obstacle and pass the Local Community
Radio Act, we can finally build the independent radio stations our
communities need.

Time is running out. Please call today.

Thanks,

Candace Clement
Outreach Manager
Free Press

Free Press is a national, nonpartisan organization working to reform the
media. Learn more at www.freepress.net