[Imc-web] [IMC] Inquiry Missing in Admin on This List?

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 3 11:12:12 CST 2011

OK, the message I was referring to on the IMC list is in the IMC-Web
queue this morning. It is in reference to removing an individual's name
from anonymous comments in this article:
http://ucimc.org/content/pro-chief-students-issue-call-racism-and-violence-against-american-indians-university-illino

Her name was included with several others picked out from screenshots of
the defunct Facebook group referred to in the article and she wants it
removed. I have a copy of her inquiry, but don't want to send it to the
list where it will be archived again and increase the chances of this
troubling event for her.

While it's likely true that she did actually do what was documented in
the anonymous comment, it's also the case that any of the very limited
news value associated with the issue and the subsequent inclusion of her
name is now largely irrelevant. Unlike other in positions of trust and
responsibility in our society, I tend towards no lust for something "to
go down on your permanent record" -- unlike some other residents of our
county. I'm not convinced the lesson of the whole incident has been
thoroughly internalized, but I suspect that the poison of signing up for
tolerance of the racist behaviors of others has sunk in.

I'm inclined to delete her name and the others included in that
particular comment. Not sure if she realizes that her name is also in a
screenshot of the Chronicle of HE also on the same page (posted by a
known user), but I don't support deleting that. It's out there and
that's nothing we have control over at CoHE. I suspect searches won't
pull up her name from that image anyway, so shouldn't be an issue.

What do others think? Should we or should we not delete these few names?

I will advise her of what we decided to do about her request.
Mike Lehman