[Imc-web] [UCIMC-Tech] Captchas MIA

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Sun May 1 19:17:35 CDT 2011

While attempting to configure the new spam module, I found that there is an
issue with the way we are doing proxy caching which is causing issues with
the way the module is supposed to work. More spam was coming through, so
here's the actions I took:
- disabled Mollom, re-enabled reCaptcha
- disabled anonymous posting, at least temporarily- discussion following..

I suspect that there is a reason we have allowed anonymous postings, and I'd
like to hear what that reason is as a part of the discussion on revamping
the website.

My personal feeling is that I'm not sure it's really necessary to allow
completely anonymous users to post to the site, essentially requiring us to
monitor and control for spam like this. Since logged in users can change the
"author" of the post to appear as anonymous, I suggest that we make it
apparent that this can be done in the redesign, and require people to
register on the website in order to post comments, stories, etc.

Thoughts? -CR