[Newspoetry] Political Poetry

Sam Patterson patterso at rohan.sdsu.edu
Sun Apr 11 11:16:30 CDT 1999

I think this format could just keep going, feel free to add to it and
repost
sam

Political Poetry

I write poems about children moving a thousand miles away from their
parents.  I publish them on armbands, sew pictures of them onto
patches.  These I give to children.

I write a poem about military strategy and I publish it on 300 cruise
missiles.  I sell the missiles to another country.

I write a poem about past relationships and publish it on a half-ripe
mango.

I write a poem suggesting that by going to the doctor you are exposing
yourself to a higher concentration of pathogens.  I publish this on your

I write a poem about and over and through.  I publish it on top of.

The child is coughing at me.  For this child I publish a poem on a mask
and I make the child wear it.  The child blows its nose on my sleeve.

I write a poem about campaign finance reform and publish it on a check
to my senator.

I write a poem about the inhumanity of denying prenatal care to illegal
immigrants.  I publish it on a very sick baby and send it to Pete
Wilson.

I write a poem about cruise missiles and I publish it at night, from off
shore, it surprises you.

I write a poem about bombing Iraq.  I publish it on the back of my last
gas receipt.  This poem I put in my wallet to remember that I too am
implicated.