[Newspoetry] looking for feedback on draft

Sam Patterson patterso at rohan.sdsu.edu
Mon Aug 16 14:14:17 CDT 1999

Weekend morning show

sunday mornings used to mean
coffee and crepes with brown sugar
and at ten your mother the phone

then the newspaper
read slowly, gourging
at this fountian of closure

history: hiroshima "anniversary" the radio once said
"the united states dropped the world's first atomic bomb on  Hiroshima,
a military base"

this odd frame that blocks most of the window, painted
clousred

epistemological whiteout

delete that interpretation

dropped the first atomic bomb-pop on Hiroshima a hot dog stand

dropped the /  on / our own boys / friendly  /fire swept through / a
mistake/ the embassy / today/ the united states / news agencies/
dropped  / an artificial / perspective  / on their readers/ our boys  /
your neighbors/  the TV Suppliers/

this morning the fog is thick, the ships are invisible off shore, I
nervously read the weather report, skies clearing by evening, heavy
bombing expected.

If I had an advanced guidance system.

my education cost much less than a missile.

Pat Robertson is shot in the head by the pope after suggesting America
adopt a policy of assassinating world leaders it does not like.

books pulled by ones from the shelf and pilled around the house:
poetry, anthologies, collections of essays, a looming pile of borrowed
promising notes and reasons and challenges and reminders.  where has the
TV gone to?

to the tune
of get me out of here

I know your in morocco and I wonder if your mother calls at ten

no ideas but in facts
no facts but in circumstance
no circumstance but in context
no ideas but in context

moving from book to book poem to poem, moving boarders to Paterson, to
Writing talks, to Contents dream, moving in tight circles

to Against forgetting a high-water mark

purgatory is any place people are stuck

that which binds them there may not be physical