[Newspoetry] Y2k Programming

Bill Wendling wendling at ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 17 10:54:59 CDT 1999

Electrons spontaneously assembled to spell out:
} Pardon me for being a little off-topic, but I found an intresting Y2k
} programming article:
} <http://www.y2kinfo.com/journal/features/0899_amon.html>
} I'd be curious about people's opinions on the article, since we have
} folks qualified to evaluate and commment on it.
} Thanks,
} Mike
}
Hi, Mike,

The article has the tone of someone who's fanatical about what she does
and has been doing it for quite a while. It also has the tone of someone
who's angry at people for not listening to her. I've looked at a few of
the code snippets she's found. They have other problems than just the Y2K
thing. But to make a sweeping generalization about all programmers from
300 code fragments on the web is a bit much. I doubt that most
programmers would use Perl/C/Java/Javascript so incorrectly. The ones
I've looked at have the look and feel of quicky test programs which one
writes on a Friday afternoon to do something minor...