[Newspoetry] The US ARMY prepares for Gay Terrorists. Really.

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 30 21:15:23 CDT 1999

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 06:16:54PM -0500, Bill Wendling wrote:
> Only weeks after the brutal murder of gay soldier Barry Winchell in
Kentucky, the Pentagon is again singling out gays - this time as
terrorists.

[snip]

> According to the Post, the Guard's Rapid Assessment and Initial
Detection (RAID) teams are preparing for a variety of terrorist
threats, including "the gay rights parade scenario" in which gay
terrorists fill balloons with ricin, a powdered nerve agent.

[snip]

> The Post piece also revealed that the military fears attacks by
animal rights advocates. According to the Post, the Guard was also
preparing for "the national fur convention scenario, in which animal
rights activists let loose balloons laded with botulism germs."

Here are some more ideas:

The Air Force should prepare for the "Mothers Against Drunk Driving
scenario", in which MADD members at a rally release balloons filled
with agent orange.

And the Navy should prepare for the "Rape Crisis Hotline staff
Christmas party" scenario where workers at a rape crisis hotline use
their Christmas party as a diversionary tactic for releasing balloons
filled with powdered acidic mutant fire ant blood.

Hell, I'm starting to think about releasing some balloons filled with
deadly chemicals myself -- it never occurred to me before!

Joe Futrelle                  | "The shrunken rostrum can have been
Team Leader, Emerge           | duplicating Rachel, at least, even as
Scientific Data Tech. / NCSA  | said dress-hanger would have been
http://emerge.ncsa.uiuc.edu/  | woken." -- N. Violet Littlehampton