[Newspoetry] prompting theater

bhagy at onthejob.net bhagy at onthejob.net
Wed Dec 8 20:52:26 CST 1999

As i sweat and toil, trying to figure out how to put on a circus with a
few planks and a pocket full of lint, i want to invite you all, and even
all those who you know (the plentitudes they are!), to an upcoming
impromptu Prompting Theater/DSC event.

Next Thursday, which as fate would have it is December 16th, DSC (my
department in specific) is having one of them there holiday bizarres.  And
let me tell you, there ain't nuthin bizarre about it. sigh.  Well, maybe a
little.  The clients at DSC have been working these past few months to
make candles, soaps, jewelry, and other little knicknacknucks to sell for
something which doesn't amount to a profit.  Anyways, this little shindig
begins next Thursday at 9 am and runs until 3 pm, and will be at DSC.

But wait!  There's more.  Since the bizarre is on Thursday and the
Prompting Theater rehearses on Thursdays (and at DSC still, since they
haven't yet found us an "appropriate space" in the community), and since
the poor Prompting Theater did NOT get its major NEA grant
(everyone...big sigh), and since the Haunted Theater (our major
fundraiser) was cancelled by higher powers, my scoundrel mind was set in
motion.  The Prompting Theater wants to invite you to a fundraising OPEN
REHEARSAL!!!  How will this work?  Well, we're not quite sure.  You come
to our stage at DSC on Thursday, watch us rehearse, shell out lots of
money into our tin donation can, and give us feedback on our: rehearsal
techniques, circus routines (well, skills right now since we're just now
starting to develop routines), and fantastically unsafe circus equipment
(we're using a bed mattress for a floor mat cuz we haven't been able to
get the money to buy a real mat!).  We will only be rehearsing Thursday
morning from 9 until 12, so if you can make it, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Besides, you can stay for as long as you want, check out the bizarre, and
also wander around DSC's halls marveling at beautiful decorations hanging
around (designed by the Prompting Theater's tech crew, and put up mostly
by me, but also by many devoted elves).

I think this could be the start of a revolution.  Well, ok, maybe just a
fundraising event.  But hey, it'll be worth it to watch these folks create
the show which will be presented in April (if we're lucky), no?  You can
see folks who are utterly afraid of heights walking on planks as if they
were, well, uh, planks, but they do it damn good!  You can witness me
harness my power over them, making them jump through hoops for me! (evil
laugh inserted here).  You can see Michael sit in his chair cuz he's
waiting for us to finish making his props so that he can start practicing!
And there's lots more!  So come on out.  Bring some popcorn, some cotton
candy, some inspiration!  And help us raise a buck or two so that we can
pull off this show!

Thanks!

Your kind-hearted, over-inflated wit of a director
Brian Hagy