[Newspoetry] good time to start boycotting amazon.com

Bill Wendling wendling at ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 28 11:04:16 CST 1999

Also sprach gillespie william k:
}
} Being asked to boycott Amazon.com is like being asked to give up the first
} amendment. Being able to buy obscene, dissident, and otherwise
} semi-marketable literature - even through a creepy e-market economy and
} dubious corporations - is one of the fundamental definitions of a decent
} society. For me. There can be no desirable society without Kathy Acker
} - and easy access to her writing - pushing the boundaries of what's
} writeable. For me.
}
} So should I shop at barnes and noble dot com or borders dot com?
} Monopolizers, union busters, independent bookseller slaughterers?
}
} I'd love to support my (one) local independent bookseller - even though I
} don't like their store very much - except that ordering books through them
} takes four weeks longer and I don't have a car to drive out there.
}
} Also the taxes go to Savoy, which is only sort-of local.
}
} Opinions?
}
You could try www.fatbrain.com for all your geek/tech book needs. A lot
of publishers now sell their books directly over the web.

Or, you could go to your favorite, local, easily accessible used book
store and browse their to your heart's content. They are close, cheap,
and have lots of books which noone's even heard of.

Or, you could realise that the boycott is over a stupid "one-click
shopping" patent and that it's against B&N (fer Christ's sake) and that
Amazon.com gets a lot of their books from used bookstores around the
country thus helping to promote used bookstores (a Good Thing(tm)).

But, then, Amazon books in Minnisotta (I think) is suing Amazon.com
because they keep getting 1-800 calls for the other Amazon and it's
costing them a mint. (Amazon books is a lesbian bookstore.)

Or, you could realize that buying books contributes to the massive
deforestation that this planet is facing and just buy e-books. But then
you're using electricity.

All in all, the used bookstore route would seem the best bet.

Cheers!
	Bill