[Ojc-announce] Re: [Newspoetry] good time to start boycotting amazon.com

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 28 11:14:22 CST 1999

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 09:07:06AM -0600, sigfried at shout.net wrote:
> gillespie william k said:
> > Being asked to boycott Amazon.com is like being asked to give up the first
> > amendment.
[snip]
> The bigger issue is copyright and patent
> law in general.  I don't yet have a proposal for replacing copyright law with
> something else.
[snip] anyway, what
> do you think of copyright law?

I think it blows.  It only protects owners.  The free flow of ideas is
critical in countless ways.  Imagine a law where you could only
copyright original ideas, and your rights were limited to being cited
when someone used them.

Joe Futrelle                  | "What a contaminant!" -- Kitty
Team Leader, Emerge           | Alvechurch
Scientific Data Tech. / NCSA  |
http://emerge.ncsa.uiuc.edu/  |