[Ojc-announce] Re: [Newspoetry] good time to start boycotting amazon.com

sigfried at shout.net sigfried at shout.net
Tue Dec 28 12:56:28 CST 1999

> Look at Linux. Linus et al don't have to get a cent for what they write.
> Nice companies, like RedHat and VA Linux, have tried to return the favor
> by hiring these people or making pre-IPO priced stock available to them.
> But that's not why they do it.
>
> So what if a company gets rich off of this email or some other work?
> Isn't the most important thing the work itself and the ideas? Over the
> ages, there have been countless artists who have never made a cent off of
> their work, yet the world would be poorer without them. I don't think I'd
> like a world where there wasn't a Van Gogh.
>
> One would assume that, if a person wrote something and some cheesy
> company was trying to capitalize on it without any consideration for the
> artist, then that company would fail. I can happen and is happening.

Yeah, I guess the authors who would be real losers are the ones who write
bestsellers -- and even if they didn't have copyright protection, the
publishing companies would still pay them big advances for their books --
maybe -- other publishing companies could come in a republish the same
books if they sold well.

| Sigfried Gold                        sigfried at onthejob.net |
| (217) 278-3933                            www.onthejob.net |