[Newspoetry] good nooz

gillespie william k gillespi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 8 09:03:53 CDT 1999

Yeah, it's hard to make a distinction between good news, an improvement
in a bad situation, something that could have been worse, etc.

Like: this is a great country because we freed the slaves and gave women
and minorities the right to vote.

Even the story about the heroic woman marching for campaign finance reform
could be read as an attempt to improve something bad...

But a fun pome by Mr.K. nevertheless notwithstanding.

I heard a story on NPR - good news, I think - about a public
transportation system in Seymour, Indiana (?), where passengers can pay
their bus fare in recyclable materials.

I think that's great, wish I could find the story on the internet.

I guess with both these news stories - woman, bus - there's something
good about them because they're kind of wacky and fun to think about, in
addition to being progressive.

So the definition of good news is maybe close to:
whatever makes you feel good.

-W