[Newspoetry] Poem

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 21 18:16:44 CDT 1999

Babs,
I heard this disturbing report also.  Would it be safe to hazard a guess
that there are no women on that "regal" judiciary body?  Not that our
courts are all that much better in many respects.  I wonder what
international treaties is Zimbabwe a signatory to?  The US is pretty
arrogant about not signing such treaties so as not to limit our "freedom
and sovereignty" so similar stuff happens here (child labor, the death
penalty and the repression of labor rights.)

I am cynical enough to feel that Clinton won't start a war over this
particular violation of human rights.  I can't imagine a circumstance
where a larger percentage of a population has had its rights violated,
with the possible exception of apartheid itself.  Perhaps that is the
comparison I'm looking for.  It's a shame that people fight (and die) in
a war for freedom and then have their aspirations ground into the dust
by a leadership with no more moral authority than the people they
replaced.
Mike