[Newspoetry] fwd from katharine gricevich

Sam Patterson patterso at rohan.sdsu.edu
Wed Jun 2 02:24:01 CDT 1999

Subject:
        [stopthebombs] Midwest Action: Albright at Northwestern
   Date:
        Mon, 31 May 1999 22:06:39 -0700 (PDT)
   From:
        Katharine Gricevich <grisslesnitch at yahoo.com>
     To:
        stopthebombs at egroups.com

I know that many of the folks on this list are West
Coast-ers, but I figured, just in case any of you will
be in the Chicago area this summer, you should know
about this opportunity.  Here's the text of a flier
that I picked up a couple of months ago--before the
bombing of Kosovo began.  I understand that since
then, plans have taken place to expand the protest to
include that issue.  If you are able, please attend.

COMMENCE WITH COMPASSION

End U.S. Sanctions Against the People of Iraq

    On June 18th, 1999, U.S. Secretary of State
Madeleine Albright will give the commencement address
at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL, at which
time the university will confer upon her an honorary
doctorate of law.
    Ms. Albright is a leading spokesperson for the
econmic sanctions against the people of Iraq which
kill 250 children a day, more than 5,000 a month, more
than 1 million innocent persons since 1991.
    This is a crime against humanity punishing
millions of people, but Madeleine Albright said "the
price is right" when asked if the deaths of 500,000
children in Iraq could be justified.  So why does
Northwestern honor one of the chief architects of this
policy with an honorary law degree and the privilege
of addressing Northwestern's commencement?
    We say, commence with compassion!  End the
sanctions against the people of Iraq!  Join students,
parents, and others from around the Midwest in
Evanston on June 18th to make our voices heard by
Northwestern University and Secretary of State
Albright.  We will have speakers, music, and a
powerful, dignified presence at the commencement
ceremony, honoring the children of Iraq who are
victimized by the economic sanctions against the
people of Iraq.

JUNE 18TH, 1999
4PM-7PM
RYAN STADIUM, ON CENTRAL AVE. IN NORTHERN EVANSTON, IL

eGroups Spotlight:
"Military Spouse Unlimited" - Participate in this support group for
military spouses of on-duty servicemen and women.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/118

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/stopthebombs

In addition, I, Andy G., wonder about the urbana possibilities of a
clowning protest in Evanston, and in Cicero, IL, where the poor are
being forced from their homes. There are enough folks there who could do
something weird enough to show those bastards what's what.