[Newspoetry] Book Review

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 24 14:44:12 CDT 1999

I recently read an interesting book written by an old family friend.
Its the story of a twelve year old boy, deported from his homeland
during WWII.  He spends 92 hours in a frigid boxcar, only to be taken to
an ex-Nazi prison and thrown into a solitary confinement.  Forced to
march to dinner with his hands on his head, the guard is always sure to
remind him of the hangman's tree in the courtyard, waiting for those who
would break the prison rules.  This book is the story of his deportation
and his ultimately successful return to the land of his birth.

Was this boy English or French, Jew or Gypsy, Russian or Polish?
He was none of these- he was an American.

<http://www.upublish.com/books/jacobs.htm>

The text is typical of a self published effort, and could have used more
of an editor's touch, but it is an interesting story.  In the modern day
context of our recent adventure in the Balkans, it is a cautionary tale
of what war often does to even our loftiest principles.
Mike Lehman