[Newspoetry] hey, I wrote another poem! (fwd)

gillespie william k gillespi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 1 19:20:11 CST 1999

Go Barbara! Go Barbara! Woo!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 15:53:36 -0600 (CST)
From: auntbarb at shout.net
To: William Gillespie <gillespi at uiuc.edu>
Subject: hey, I wrote another poem!

Here's my latest NP effort.

Last night, I dreamed that I made sandwiches for the revolution.

The revolution, claiming 30 lives a day locally, will remain un-broadcast.
Walt Disney's ABC News will only talk to those who can provide snappy,
unhestitent "Sound Bites" (Lacking by definition information and
introspection), or tips on how to present an attractive pot roast.

The revolution, having given on up trying to sell itself, hands out books
to journalists and spectators, so that they may read them aloud to each
other over pot roast and glazed carrots.

Now and then a paragraph appears on the third page of the second section
of the newspaper that mentions the fact that some of your neighbors are
dying.  On Wednesday, we got the  order for 350 sandwiches, most of them
turkey.  The revolution doesn't want it's catering orders released to the
public, because the contents of the order will be leaked and that WILL be
news (mixed bread, mixed chips, coleslaw, canned drinks of varying sorts),
and the revolution will be critiqued on it's lack of sophistication,
taste, and commitment to vegetarianism.  The News, in an editorial, will
have critiqued the lack of filet mignon.

I dreamed that I ran down the back streets of Urbana, looking for the
revolution's accountant.  She gave me a check and thanked me for my
efforts and I snuck back to the waiting minivan.  We drove away
from the secret locale, knowing that if we drove over a landmine, our
deaths would be unnoticed, as they would not sell Cream of
Wheat or vacations to Disneyland.

Last night, I dreamed that there was a revolution.

-Anne