[Newspoetry] Saturday at noon by OJC

William Gillespie gillespi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 12 09:57:14 CST 1999

Hey Newspoets,

I'm going to get up early tomorrow so I can picket Tim Johnson for
refusing to vote to add an amendment to an existing Illinois Human
Rights bill that would add sexual orientation to a list of other things
you already can't discriminate against a person on the basis of such as
marital status.

You may remember the following newspoem:
http://www.newspoetry.com/99/990326.html

It's going to be a beautiful day for a protest, and I'll be taking my
morning coffee beforehand at the renovated (denovated) and suprisingly
devoid-of-flair Cinema Caffee (sic) where they have never heard of
herbal tea. Come join me with poetry painted on signs.

There is a reason for doing this: the bill will be voted on again
perhaps as early as next week. Also, Tim Johnson is entering an election
year where he will be running against (comparatively) progressive mayor
Satterthwaite (I think) and Tim, in order to secure the vote of the
Newspoetry sector, may be forced to hold his nose and fake having a
social conscience until this reelection thing is taken care of -
politics can be quite ugly and make a man do things he otherwise would
never consider, such as vote to expand human rights.

The logic of Johnson's justification for not signing the bill can be
torn to shreds effortlessly, as Ruth Wyman demonstrates below:

---OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT & COMMENTARY

On Saturday, November 13, supporters of LGBT rights and N.O.W. will be
holding an informational picket in front of State Rep. Tim Johnson's
office at NOON. The office is in downtown Urbana, across the street from
Cinema Cafe (around the corner from Courier Cafe) at 129 W. Main Street.
The purpose of the picket is to support passage of HB 474 which would
amend the Illinois Human Rights Act to include sexual orientation. This
bill failed by only 1 vote last spring and could be called for another
vote during veto session as early as November 16.  Our local
legislators,Tim Johnson and Rick Winkel both opposed the bill in the
past. The purpose of the picket is to remind them that their
constituency includes many gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered
people and their allies. Bring a sign if you have one. Any questions
please email Ruth at: rewyman at hotmail.com

Please note that Rep Winkel is quoted as saying that he doesn't equate
sexual practices/preferences the same as race (doesn't he also practice
sex and isn't his preference heterosexual?). The feeling from both of
them is that homosexuality is a choice...for those of you who don't know
the Illinois Human Rights Act protects individuals on marital status,
religion and military service (among many others). These three are all
items of choice.