[Newspoetry] FIGHT CLUB CHAT TONIGHT 8 CT

Scott Rettberg authors.guide at about.com
Mon Nov 22 18:03:08 CST 1999

Unknown & Newspoets sitting in front of computers--

Chat with Fight Club Author
Chuck Palahniuk
Monday Night
November 22th at 9 P.M. EDT, 8 CT, 7 MTN, 6 PT
http://authors.about.com/blfightclub.htm
http://authors.about.com/mpchat.htm

Join us in the Authors chat room on Monday, November 22 from
9-10 P.M. Eastern timefor a chat with Fight Club author
Chuck Palahniuk. The film has been a controversial hit at
the box office. Join us as we get the author's opinion about
the masculine angst and the violence in the film. Learn
about Palahniuk's other work and the arc his career has
taken of late. Practically overnight, Palahniuk's gone from
being an obscure literary writer with a day job repairing
diesel trucks to the toast of Hollywood. His second novel
have already been optioned by Fox.

Palahniuk's work is lauded for its originality and stark,
brutal humor. Sven Birkerts cited Fight Club in Esquire
magazine as an "apocalyptic, post-grunge taste from the
West Coast . . . a bizarre, ugly and determinedly cranked-up
novel, you must dislike while reading, but there is
something else in the pulse--the staccato, edges-exposed way
it gets from line to line--that makes you wonder if the
author might not know a few secrets."

Palahniuk has written two other books, Survivor and
Invisible Monsters, since his 1996 debut with Fight Club.

Join us in the chat room with your questions about the book,
the film, the writer's background and his technique. It's
sure to be a memorable evening. We'll also transcribe the
chat and keep it here in our permanent archive.