[Newspoetry] Streaming Realnewspoetry

bhagy at onthejob.net bhagy at onthejob.net
Thu Sep 23 19:34:32 CDT 1999

streaming video doesn't necessarily mean live video.  streaming means the
data is sent in a stream, and thus you can watch the file as you are
downloading it, rather than having to wait until it has finished
downloading, then watch it. Of course, this technology is really useful
for live video, but also it saves having to find something else to do
while
you're downloading Michael Jackson's (or the Spice Girls, or whoever the
fuck is popular these days) latest video, because everyone knows that
you just have to see it now, and not five minutes from now when the
cotton-pickin thing has finally downloaded, damn these 56K modems!. And
live video isn't any more difficult
to put on the web than dead video, it's just one has more expensive
equipment than the other (can you guess which one that would be?)

Gore is on the web?  sheesh, what will they think of next?

brian