[Newspoetry] Realnewspoetry

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 28 12:07:59 CDT 1999

1. I can help with recording songs and poems in the rock n roll
basement.

2. I beg to differ about MP3.  With a compression ratio of 12:1
(resulting in a 128kbits/s (ISDN) data rate) it sounds close to FM
radio quality, which is fine for music, voice, and acoustic material.
For an example, you can hear MP3's of my songs at
http://www.schneertz.com/roar/.  Now, 28.8kb/s is an order of
magnitude slower than ISDN, so the songs won't stream over a 28.8
modem.  You have to download them and play them off your hard disk.
You can encode MP3's at higher compression ratios, but of course they
don't sound as good.  This is what Shockwave does for streaming audio.
With current compression algorithms, audio doesn't start sounding good
until about 64kb/s per channel, and video doesn't start looking good
until about 3mb/s.  Anything less degrades the quality.