[Newspoetry] poem!

Anne Bargar babs at prairienet.org
Thu Apr 20 19:14:12 CDT 2000

The Ungas Report

At Noon on Sunday, April 16, the people in the riot gear and the people
holding the line on the other side of the metal barricade found the
tensions between them mounting.  The media in all it's various forms were
filming everything.  The police took off their riot gear and put on their
gas masks.  We put on our bandanas and swim goggles and chanted, "we're
nonviolent, how about you?"  We also urged them to go on strike, and it is
remembered that there was a group "OM" at this point, but that could have
been at another time.  I think that happened a lot.  The media, in there
quest to get the story, wouldn't get out of the way for the cops to tear
gas us, and we stood our ground and waited.  It is thought that maybe the
corporate media's refusal to get themselves out of the way is what caused
them to take their masks off, or maybe the whole thing was just a ruse, a
tactic, an attempt to show what they could do.  We did not budge, the
media stayed in the way, and the cops took their masks off.  We applauded.

        Early in the morning, before we left for the protest, it was
wondered if we would be out of the action because 15 people apparently got
stuck in an elevator.